COME TO CANADA
MARK THE DATE! In May 2020, the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists will be teaming up with the ACC — the Association of Canadian Cartoonists — for a 4-day festival of political art! May 14-17, 2020.
ACC/AAEC Convention features [All events tentative]
The main components will be in the convention HQ at the Library and Archives building with the bulk of speaking events to be held on the Friday and Saturday.
Thursday, May 14
• The convention kicks off at 11 am with a special secret government cartoon presentation. (Our hosts ask, if possible, that members do their best to come in a bit earlier than usual.)
• Inuit Cartoon show in collaboration with the Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami.
• “Freedom in Broad Strokes” exhibition featuring World Press Freedom Award winners.
• Gala book launch on the life of famed Toronto Star cartoonist Duncan Macpherson.
• Hill Times newspaper sponsored cocktail reception.
Friday, May 15
• Library and Archives — Speaker presentations and panels on cartooning and satire beginning at 9am.
• Canadian War Museum —Speaker presentations and exclusive tour of museum war art holdings.
• Embassy of Germany — Cocktail reception and display of cartoon art.*
*Wes is looking into arranging with members to compile Angela Merkel cartoons for this.
Saturday, May 16
• Library and Archives — Speaker presentations and panels on cartooning and satire.
• City of Ottawa — Tour of the many sights of Ottawa.
• Gala closing — Houses of Parliament reception (to be confirmed) for awards and presentation.
Sunday, May 17
• Library and Archives — Morning association business meetings for ACC and AAEC.
• Tearful farewells.**
Wes has a small army of Ottawa people helping him polish the final elements and they hope to complete the schedule by January. Don’t be surprised if he reaches out to many of you personally and encourage conversation.
*An important reminder to all American cartoonists: bring your passport. You will need it to get back in the country.
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN
Visit the ACC Store at https://acc.format.com/store to register today!
ACC/AAEC Members and attending artists and scholars — $200.00 CAD (approximately $152 US)
Spouses/partners — $100.00 CAD (approximately $76 US)
Select the Paypal option OR go old-school and make a cheque payable to the ACC and send to our esteemed treasurer Guy Badeaux at 24 Pelletier, Gatineau Quebec J8Z 1C5
Staying in Ottawa
The Ottawa Marriott Hotel has a special convention rate of $170.00CAN* per night for May 14, 15 and 16. Room space is limited and we encourage you to book as soon as possible. Make your reservations by clicking on the link here: https://book.passkey.com/event/49951635/owner/8160/home
*Please note: The convention rate is currently only good for May 14-15-16. Attendees staying for longer period please contact Wes directly at westyrell (at) gmail.com
About the AAEC
For over six decades, the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists has been the professional association concerned with promoting the interests of staff, freelance and student editorial cartoonists. This includes political illustrators and the growing field of comics journalists.
We are a network of cartoonists who support the profession of editorial cartooning on all platforms, from print to digital. We are active in the defense of free speech and a free press, the very foundation of political cartooning.
We encourage and mentor young editorial cartooning talent, and aim to provide a common meeting ground for cartoonists of all political persuasions to exchange views, meet socially, and showcase creative and technological innovation.
The new AAEC website is now up and active at editorialcartoonists.com. There you can see daily cartoons and news, and cartoonists can renew their membership and update their AAEC information.